Thursday, October 2, 2008

One of Eight, Make that Union Eight!

Hello from Michigan!

Do you remember the show The Waltons? It was one of my favorite shows. I think anyone who has seen it a few times remembers, if nothing else, the way they would say goodnight to each other. One would start, and another would join in saying goodnight and adding a goodnight to another family member until everyone had said goodnight.
Union Eight has reminded me of that show a lot in the past weeks. Our group of eight spends so much time together online discussing things like new programs, design tips, meta files, color codes, promotional and marketing plans, and the like that they are the first people I talk to when I wake up and the last I say goodnight to. We have become friends, close friends. I think in part that is why what we offer is so unique. We work together for the benefit of the group, for the benefit of creating the best possible designs and the best variety of designs to the public, to the people just like us, people with kids and grandkids, husbands, wives, sons, daughters, and pets. We are from all walks of life, all different areas of the country, have different job skills and people skills, and if you put them all together you get this amazing mish mash of talent, creativity, and sincere dedication in giving our very best.
Coming up with the name Union Eight wasn’t the easiest thing in the world. We threw a lot of names out there, some that I look back on now and think wow, thank goodness we didn’t use that! Of course, when the name “Union Eight” was first presented to the group by one member, I admit I wasn’t all that fond of the name. It reminded me of trains, and copper mining as it was big in my area of the country when I was growing up and “union” reminded me of copper miners and trains. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, it’s just …what does it have to do with T-shirts? But, everyone else liked it and so I was okay with it as I didn’t exactly oppose the idea of it either. Then someone mentioned Old Navy and how it really doesn’t have anything to do with the military and I thought “well, that is true!”. I didn’t love the name until I saw the amazing Union Eight logo that one of our members created. She did such a fabulous job with it! For me, that logo made it all come together! And together we are, eight of us, online friends, entrepreneurs, business women and men (man!) with a strong work ethic, a lot of creativity, and a need to design. Designs that appeal to you, to your mother, to your children. Designs that say what you feel, designs that make you laugh, make you think, celebrate something special happening in your life. Nothing you need, but everything you want. Union Eight.

Go check it out!

Union Eight Signature Logo kedsshoe
Union Eight Signature Logo
by

UnionEight

No comments: