Thursday, October 16, 2008

It's All Because of Peacocks

It's 3:30 am, I should be asleep. I'm tired, I worked all day and I'm still working. I'm blaming it on the peacocks. Yes, you heard me correct (or is it correctly? I'm honestly too tired to go to webster.com and find out). It's all the fault of the peacocks.
It all started innocently enough. "Let's start an ecard site" he said. Who is he? He is an online friend who out of the blue one day said "Let's start an ecard site". I laughed. I mean, neither of us knew a thing about ecards other than they are fun to send now and then. We both dabbled a bit in Paint Shop Pro but, really, did that qualify us as being owners of an ecard site?
Yet as days went by his enthusiasm was contagious and before I knew it, it sounded like a good idea, and so it began that for the next year I made ecards and more ecards. I haphazardly (wrong spelling?) learned Flash5 and animation, and looking back now I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. Some of the ecards I came up with prove that point, yet there are others to this day I am quite proud of. Ok, now the ecards were made, how do we get them to be available to a site visitor? Again, we had no idea where to look or who to ask, but we figured it out. And I began to realize something I never understood before in my life. You see, I had been a stay at home mom, a high school graduate with no college education, and this was a very new venture for me. I was starting to realize that dreams are possible! If you want it bad enough, and you run into obstacles, like ...having no idea how to get these cards from my computer to on a site where a customer could send them...you do one of two things. You either quit, or you figure it out. That was one of the biggest lessons in life I ever learned. Well, not quite as simple as that perhaps, but yes, the message to me, the learning experience was, that you can do anything if you just keep plugging away at it. I spent about ten hours one time trying to figure out how a "library" works in a Poser4 program. I asked a zillion goofy questions on a Poser forum and finally, finally after ten hours someone gave me the answer I needed. You ask questions, you read, you google for answers, you spend time on forums bugging people smarter than yourself, you team up with people who have similar interests and similar work ethics and you push ahead until you get to that dream. Of you can quit of course.
But that brings me back to the fact that it is now a quarter to four in the morning, and I'm still working! I am telling you, it's the fault of those blasted peacocks. Oh dont' get me wrong, I love peacocks, I have several really cool ones, not living breathing ones of course, but nevertheless peacocks. It all started out with wondering what to name this free ecard site we started. I'm not even sure who came up with the name. I think it wasn't me, and I think it was actually even based on a joke, but hey, peacocks are cool, peacocks are pretty, beautiful even, and our ecards were going to be G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S! And so, Peacock Cards it was, and still is. Might not be the best name, relevant even to designing and selling T-shirts, but I do think it's memorable.
Check out my Peacock Cards Store if you have a chance. Peacock Cards is a proud member of Union Eight! Maybe one day I'll even have peacock designs in my galleries! Until then, here's a couple designs I did a while back, drawn with my mouse.

No comments: